Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Big Red's Workout......Lemon Raspberry Yogurt Cake

Just look at these healthy ingredients waiting to jump into Big Red. Big Red has been calling me ever since my blog post the other day about how neglected she is. I don't feel so bad about baking if I am using things like Organic flour, lovely brown eggs, organic yogurt, canola oil from Whole Foods....you get the idea. I found a recipe for yogurt cake and I tweaked it a bit by adding raspberries and using lemon yogurt instead of plain yogurt.
Here's the recipe....

Lemon Raspberry Yogurt Cake

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 heaping cup of lowfat yogurt (lemon is good)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup Canola oil
1 cup raspberries (slightly thawed if frozen)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt (er…I rarely sift but at least mix it up.) Set aside.


In another bowl (or your Big Red Kitchenaid in my case) add yogurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and canola oil and mix until just combined.
If you don't know how to zest a lemon, just use the smaller holes on your grater and gently get the yellow stuff off the lemon.

Scrape down the bowl with a spatula (yours doesn't have to have the lovely melted handle) and add raspberries. Mix just until incorporated.


Pour your lovely swirly mixture into a greased loaf pan, or in my case since you just remembered you lent your one and only loaf pan to your mother, whatever groovy pan you have available. I even considered a muffin tin but was too lazy to put the little paper thingies in and dollop the batter into each little well. I opted for the valentines day heart pan even though its the middle of July. I digress. Sorry.


Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in and nothing goopy sticks on the toothpick. Remove from the oven and let cool.


This may be the most important step. DIG IN! Don't forget your favorite beverage. I think the milk jug says it all, don't you?

No comments: