Tuesday, August 5, 2008

School Supplies

Sage starts school in a week. I can't believe this summer is already gone. We went shopping for school supplies and I don't know what it is but I'm like a kid in a candy store where school supplies are concerned. Is it the smell of fresh paper? The allure of pencils to sharpen or fresh pens that no one has used yet? Or is it more?

Every time we shop for school supplies we both get a little giddy. We love getting the list and checking off each item as we find them. Its not only the fresh, virgin spiral notebooks and the smell of crayon wax, its the excitement of a new year. It signals new beginnings and the scary yet exciting adventures that lie ahead. Its the promise of something bigger and its a welcome glimpse into fall when its 103 degrees outside. I feel the rush too. Just like I did every year when it was time to buy new school supplies.

It may sound silly, but these are the moments to savor in life. I know I have only a few more years left to shop for school supplies with my daughter. Yet still, somehow I think I will still buy them even long after she's gone off to college. Just so I can feel that rush again...and maybe flashback to the excitement and promise of a new year. Screw New Years Eve, I'll take new school supplies any day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean!! I have a hard time resisting the school supplies!! :D